NYS Special Education Parent Centers
There are 13 Special Education Parent Centers across New York State. These centers provide parents of children with information regarding the special education process (referrals, individual evaluations, individualized program development, and transition planning) and resources to promote their meaningful involvement in their child’s education programs.
The local/regional centers offer a wide variety of trainings, and most will provide presentations and trainings tailored to meet your needs at your parent group or community organization. Below are links to the 13 local Parent Education Centers and area served. All provide expert individualized information and referral services and can assist you with locating and accessing local direct service programs. See the NYS Department of Education Special Education Website for more resources and information.
- Long Island Parent Information Center – Suffolk and Nassau
- Parent Network of Western New York – Erie and western NY counties
- Brooklyn Center for Independence of the Disabled – Brooklyn
- Parent Centers Without Walls at RCSN – Bronx and Manhattan
- Parent to Parent NY/The Research Foundation for Mental Hygiene – Staten Island
- United We Stand of New York – Queens
- Family Resource Network, Inc. – Broome-Delaware-Tioga; Delaware-Chenango-Madison-Otsego; Otsego-Northern Catskills; and Greater Southern Tier BOCES Regions
- Syracuse University Parent Education Center – Herkimer-Fulton-Hamilton-Otsego; Madison-Oneida, Oneida-Herkimer-Madison; Oswego County; Onondaga-Cortland-Madison; Tompkins-Seneca-Tioga; Cayuga-Onondaga and Syracuse City BOCES regions.
- Northern Regional Center for Independent Living, Inc – Clinton, Essex, Warren, Franklin, Hamilton, St. Lawrence, Lewis, Jefferson, and Herkimer Counties.
- Hudson Valley Parent Education Center at WHID – Hudson Valley. Covers the following BOCES: Dutchess; Orange-Ulster; Putnam-Northern Westchester; Rockland; Southern Westchester; Sullivan; Ulster and Yonkers City
- The Advocacy Center, Inc. – Genesee Valley; Monroe 1; Monroe 2 –Orleans; Ontario-Seneca-Yates-Cayuga-Wayne; and Rochester City BOCES regions.
- Parent Network of the Capital Region at Wildwood - Albany, Columbia, Essex, Fulton, Greene, Hamilton, Montgomery, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Schenectady, Schoharie, Washington and Warren Counties.